How do I record with Kaltura Capture?
You can use Kaltura to present rich media content in your courses. Kaltura helps you to create, or host and share videos, images, and audio files. This article describes how to use Kaltura Capture for desktop and/or webcam recording.
If you have not yet installed Kaltura Capture on your computer, follow these instructions. Once installed, you can record with Kaltura Capture as follows:
Navigate to Kaltura My Media
Select your recording type:
Media Upload - allows you to upload any recording made in another application, or on your phone or by any other means.
See some options to create your video on How can I make a video to share with my students?
Express Capture - allows you to use your webcam or microphone to record video and audio entries directly from your browser without needing any additional software.
Recordings will necessitate the use of a webcam and microphone. However, these are now often part of computer hardware or are easily accessible.
Watch a video
This short video shows you how Kaltura Capture works.
Let's see where to start to create your recordings.
Click Add New - >Create Recording
If you haven't already downloaded Kaltura Capture please refer to Kaltura Capture - Installation
As long as you have previously installed Kaltura Capture the browser screen will refresh with a message that says "The Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder:
Your browser may display a notification asking you if you want to open Kaltura Capture:
Check "Always open these types of links in the associated app" if you don't want to receive this notification every time you use Kaltura Capture.
- Click the Open Kaltura Capture button.
- The Kaltura Capture control panel will open. That’s it. You can start recording.
- You will see a 5 second count down and then your recording will start.
- If you decide to cancel your recording during the 5 second countdown, click Cancel.
- When the recording begins, the duration of your recording is displayed in the Recording Menu.
Watch a short video on how to do this using Kaltura.
When you are finished with your recording, you will click the grey button to stop you will be brought to a window to upload and save:
See https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-personal-capture for a more detailed manual.
All the recorded videos are stored locally in your Recordings directory on your computer. Your recording can then be uploaded to your Kaltura account (to the user specified in the User ID field in the Recording Details screen). The upload is done in the background once you select this option. After you save your recording to it's online location, you can start a new one.
- Keep your recordings reasonably short (5-10 minutes):
- Shorter recordings reduce the cognitive load on the viewer;
- Lapses in the viewer's attention become more frequent with longer videos;
- Updating material is much easier if it is more modular - updating a 5 minute video is a lot easier than a 50 minute video;
- The editing tools in Kaltura don't allow fine-grained edits especially on longer videos;
- Longer recordings tend to encounter more frequent technical issues. It's less painful if you do happen to encounter an issue on a 5 minute video to redo it than if you do on a 50 minute video.
- If you need to make longer, more elaborate recordings and do more involved editing we recommend you consider purchasing a more powerful screen capture tool like Camtasia. See Making, Editing, and Sharing Video
Running into problems?
- See also Kaltura Capture - Locating the local recording files on your computer - this will allow you to locate your file on your local computer and directly upload it to your My Media on Blackboard.
- See also How to Download your Kaltura Media
- Check you meet the minimum system requirements
Privacy Notice to Students for Recording of Lectures by NUI Galway
Be sure to be familiar with the Privay Notice for Recording of Lectures by NUI Galway