1. Connecting to Windows Computers
Applies to Windows 7
You can connect your computer to a projector to give a presentation on a large screen. The instructions below describe how to connect to a projector by plugging the projector cable into a video port on your computer. This is the most common way to connect a projector.
To connect to a projector
- Make sure the projector is turned on, and then plug the projector cable into a video port on your computer. (VGA and HDMI ports)
- Open Control Panel by clicking the ‘Start’ button, and then clicking ‘Control Panel’.
- In the search box, type projector, and then click ‘Connect to a projector’. (To use a keyboard shortcut instead of Control Panel, press the Windows logo key +P).
- Select how you want your desktop to be displayed:
The four choices for how to display your desktop are as follows:
- Computer only (This shows your desktop only on your computer screen.)
- Duplicate (This shows your desktop on both your computer screen and a projector.
- Extend (This extends your desktop from your computer screen to a projector.)
- Projector only (This shows your desktop only on a projector.)
- Turn ON your Mac
- Make sure the projector is turned on,
- Connect the video cable (usually VGA) from the projector to the Mac. In order to do this, you will most likely need a Mac adapter cable. (Note: There are at least five different Mac adapter cables, which will vary depending on your computer's video inputs.)
- Once the Mac and projector are connected, click on the ‘Apple Menu’ in the top left corner of your screen
- Select ‘System Preferences’ from the drop-down menu
- Select the ‘Displays’ icon
- When the Displays window appears, click the ‘Detect Displays’ button
At this point your Mac and projector should be synchronized. If not, try following the steps below:
- Click on the Apple Menu in the top left corner of your screen (Step 4)
- Select ‘System Preferences’ from the drop-down menu (Step 5)
- Select the ‘Displays’ icon (Step 6)
- When the ‘Displays’ window appears, select the Arrangement tab within the menu bar
- Check the ‘Mirror Displays’ box in the lower left-hand corner of the window (Note: After checking this box, please wait several seconds. Once the displays are mirrored, you should see the same image on both your projector and computer.)